Sunday, April 18, 2010

Memories: Rocky Belk

When we were in college back in the 80s, we formed a football team in the Ohio State Intramural flag football league. The Schwansies as we were called, nearly won it all that year. We made it to the semi finals where we played some sissy frat boy group that certainly did unspeakable things like practicing... The only practicing the Schwansies did involved 12 ounze curls, probably before, not after the game. In the end, we lost that semi-final game by less than a touchdown. We were from the Cleveland area so I guess that helped us all move on, but I still have a tough time thinking about that loss.

This squad was led by the brilliant Bill Jingo at QB and his brother, the hard driving (another way to say extremely bad tempered) David Jingo. Other members of this squad included our center and main pass-rusher Craig Vretas, and the infamous Mike Abel. As I recall, occasionally the derelict Nathan Davenport would show up to play, beyond that I can't remember who else took the field of play but I am sure that I've named nearly all of the guys that won the games for us.

So why do I mention Rocky Belk?? Well... I too was on that squad and I caught 3 passes all season long, all for very long touchdowns. When I found this video, I now recall, that Mike and Dave used to call me Rocky Belk. Why? Because Belk caught 5 passes in his entire NFL career, 2 of them for long scores.

watch this video to witness one of Rocky Belk's career touchdowns......




No comments:

Post a Comment