Saturday, April 17, 2010

2010 NFL Draft: Interview with Holmgren and Heckert

Here is an excellent interview with Holmgren and Heckert by Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Some inside view into their draft strategies and opinions on certain key players. I think it's clear from reading between the lines that Jimmy Clausen is not in the Browns future.

Here is an excerpt of one Holmgren answer that I found particularly insightful regarding how Holmgren analyzes a young quarterback:

Mike Holmgren (On what he looks for in a quarterback)- “Over the years I have kind of tried to break it down. First of all, their ability to pass the ball, just the physical ability of passing the ball. If they can’t do that more often than not I don’t even get to step two. Then if they can do that, I want to see their football intelligence, some of the intangibles. Is he coachable? Just a feeling for the young man. Is he bright eyed? Does he exhibit some leadership qualities and things like that. The third thing is getting back more into the physical part of it, his movement ability. I’m not talking about running, necessarily, but his movement in the pocket. The ability maybe to get a first down if you have to, those types of things. If I go much beyond that then all of a sudden, this is me, I found that you are accumulating a lot of information, a lot of facts and figures that kind of muddies the waters just a little bit. That’s the first step and the next step is I like to see them in person, up close. You see film, you see how he plays and you see all that kind of stuff. I like to get up close and watch him deliver the ball and watch him do those things. My way is kind of simple over the years with how I have looked at it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment