I once watched a documentary about Brett Favre that revealed over the top character flaws that made Deshaun Watson's alleged misdeeds, by comparison, seem mild. Yet Favre to this day is mostly idolized by fans across the nation. The conversation about why probably involves race and other nuances I'm not interested in delving into, but suffice it to say I feel like if you've followed Deshaun Watson's career it's clear he's a good teammate, probably a good guy and the venom that some Browns fans express is rooted in issues that go well beyond anything Deshaun Watson is responsible for. Did Watson do some things he's not proud of. Sure, most human beings have something in their past they regret. Pro athletes especially young wealthy men, have opportunities thrown at them they never imagined when they were young and poor. That can lead to a sense of entitlement that often goes wrong. That's what i think happened and I have no problem saying Watson is probably a good man who today has learned and matured.
I was in the stands Saturday for the Bills pre season game. I didn't boo but there were enough fans who did to make me uncomfortable. Half the fans in a half empty stadium were Bills fans and they didn't boo either, so at best, it can be said that a few hundred to a few thousand Browns fans feel the need to disrespect Deshaun Watson.
I am worried something deeper is going on because Watson didn't play well and my worry is that his right arm is sore. His velocity was off, if he's hurting that is very bad news. I don't think Watson would get quite so emotional if it was strictly about the fans. Hopefully I am wrong because if Watson is still not 100% physically, he may well never be. But he looked good against Chicago so there's hope. Maybe playing Watson with the 3rd team was not a great idea and that could explain things too.
Time will tell. I still foresee Watson being named the starter because he's a better QB than Shedeur Sanders and if healthy, Watson has the best chance to lead the Browns down the road of success this season
No comments:
Post a Comment